Protect Democracy seeks a highly motivated Finance Manager to join our team.
This is a newly created, senior position in which you will become part of our small and collaborative Operations team and play a critical role in ensuring the continued financial health of Protect Democracy. This is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in scaling the financial processes and procedures of a rapidly growing start-up. As Finance Manager, you will help determine and shape the fiscal future of our organization — which consists of multiple nonprofit companies — by collaborating with our external accounting firm, strategically planning our budget and investment strategies, and managing multiple external vendors.
You can work from any location in the United States, and candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum are strongly encouraged to apply.
At Protect Democracy, we anchor our work in service to our ambitious mission: to prevent American democracy from declining into a more authoritarian form of government. Our mission is the foundation of our team, be it litigation, advocacy, or ensuring that our organization has the financial security to continue to meet the urgency of the moment and the importance of this movement.
In this role, you will:
- Oversee all day-to-day internal financial functions of the organization;
- Collaborate with the Director of Operations, Executive Director, operations team and others on Protect Democracy’s budget and investment strategies;
- Lead the completion of Protect Democracy’s annual audit and production of its Form 990;
- Work closely with our accounting team to ensure the accuracy and dependability of our books;
- Independently seek opportunities to build and improve on Protect Democracy’s operational and financial framework by closely examining needs, assessing possible solutions, and making concise recommendations to the Director of Operations;
- Liaise with accounting, technical, digital, compliance, and legal vendors working to support the organization;
- Contribute to the overall development of Protect Democracy across all areas and facets of the organization, including impact strategy.
The ideal candidate will bring:
- Passion for protecting our democracy;
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution;
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in the private sector or at a mission-driven organization;
- A degree in finance, business, or accounting (e.g. MBA, CPA) or equivalent experience;
- Experience developing and executing complex budgets and a working knowledge of accounting;
- Proven project management experience, including the ability to develop and implement plans and track, prioritize and balance an assortment of ongoing responsibilities and competing deadlines, while anticipating the Organization’s needs;
- Proficiency in integrated financial management software (e.g. Quickbooks), Excel, and comfort managing large data sets;
- Strong writing and research skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills;
- Growth mindset that recognizes that we are all on a constant path of improvement and that regular, candid, and direct feedback is a gift to be cherished so that we can further grow;
- Comfort taking smart, strategic and calculated risks;
- Comfort working in a start-up environment, doing whatever is necessary to build the organization;
- Comfort with team collaboration; not needing to work only in an isolated and autonomous way;
- Excellent critical thinking skills — you can reason your way through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to efficient solutions;
- A healthy mix of idealism, sophistication and practicality, coupled with personal kindness and generosity of spirit.
About Protect Democracy
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and political affiliation.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. All positions are full-time and offer a salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our intent is to not make finance a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater delivery of impact towards our mission. For example, our benefits package includes three months of paid parental leave, a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary, and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
Instructions: To apply to this position, please fill out the application here.