Protect Democracy seeks a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Operations Associate based in Washington, DC.
In this role, you will join our small and highly collaborative Operations team to assist in scaling the processes and procedures of a rapidly growing start-up. As an Operations Associate, you will help determine and shape the operational future of our organization — which consists of multiple nonprofit companies — by improving our operational frameworks and processes, assisting with benefits administration, providing technological and logistical support to staff, and helping manage vendor relationships. This is an excellent opportunity for a creative, organized, and enthusiastic candidate who is eager to tackle operational challenges head-on.
At Protect Democracy, we anchor our work in service to our ambitious mission: to prevent American democracy from declining into a more authoritarian form of government. Our mission is the foundation of our team, be it litigation, advocacy, or ensuring that our organization has the financial and logistical security to continue to meet the urgency of the moment and the importance of this movement.
In this role, you will:
- Help ensure Protect Democracy’s legal, fiscal, and administrative compliance, which includes collecting and managing large amounts of data;
- Assist with the administration of several benefit programs to staff, including FSAs, 401k, health care, and more;
- Liaise with benefits, technical, digital, compliance, and legal vendors working to support the organization;
- Independently identify ways to build and improve on Protect Democracy’s operational framework by examining needs, assessing possible solutions, and making concise recommendations to the Director of Operations;
- Collaborate with teams across the organization, including the Operations team, Partnerships team, and Organizational Management team;
- Provide as-needed operational support to the entire Protect Democracy team;
- Contribute to the overall development of Protect Democracy across all areas and facets of the organization, including impact strategy.
The ideal candidate will bring:
- Passion for protecting our democracy;
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution;
- 1-2 years work experience in the private sector or at a mission-driven organization;
- The ability to develop and implement plans and track, prioritize and balance an assortment of ongoing responsibilities and competing deadlines, while anticipating the needs of staff;
- A background and interest in process design, improvement, and automation;
- Facility with Excel and/or Google spreadsheets, databases, and data management;
- Strong writing, and research skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills;
- Growth mindset that recognizes that we are all on a constant path of improvement and that regular, candid, and direct feedback is a gift to be cherished so that we can further grow;
- Comfort taking smart, strategic and calculated risks;
- Comfort working in a start-up environment and pivoting to solutions as the organization grows
- Comfort with team collaboration; not needing to work only in an isolated and autonomous way;
- Excellent critical thinking skills — you can reason your way through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to efficient solutions;
- A healthy mix of idealism, sophistication and practicality, coupled with personal kindness and generosity of spirit.
About Protect Democracy
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and political affiliation.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. All positions are full-time and offer a salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our intent is to not make finance a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater delivery of impact towards our mission. For example, our benefits package includes three months of paid parental leave, a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary, and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
Instructions: To apply to this position, please fill out the application here.