Protect Democracy seeks highly motivated individuals to join our team as Impact Associates. In this role, you will have the opportunity to contribute to a wide range of our impact projects, which span policy reform and advocacy, litigation, strategic communications, research and data analysis.
You are the ideal candidate if you bring a flexible, action-oriented mindset; excellent writing, research, and communication skills with a keen eye for detail; and a collaborative, team-oriented approach. In joining our diverse team of lawyers, policy experts, legislative advocates, communication strategists, data analysts and technologists, you will have the chance to hone your skills in project management, writing, and communications, and over time develop expertise in one or more areas of our work.
We plan to hire multiple candidates for this role. You can work from any location in the United States, and candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum are strongly encouraged to apply.
Impact Associates will:
- Conduct research, synthesize findings, and draft related memoranda, reports, and other communications
- Monitor, track, and analyze relevant legislation at the federal and state levels
- Conduct media monitoring for key Protect Democracy projects and strategic issues
- Draft and publish external-facing communications materials, including press releases, tweets, talking points, outreach emails, op-eds, and blog posts
- Engage with partner organizations and other external stakeholders
- Design and curate content for Protect Democracy’s website
- Plan and organize events and convenings
- Manage and coordinate projects, developing work plans and tracking and communicating progress towards goals
- Strategize with other team members and actively contribute ideas during project brainstorming sessions
- Support litigation efforts on an as-needed basis and with in-house training, including by preparing, cite-checking, proofreading, and filing court documents
- Propose new impact projects to advance Protect Democracy’s mission
- At least one year of professional work experience
- Strong writing, research, editing and proofreading skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution
- Project management experience and the ability to manage up, down, and sideways
- Ability to track, prioritize, and balance an assortment of ongoing responsibilities
- Willingness to learn new research, communications, legal and policy skills and processes
- Nimbleness and an ability to perform well in a rapid-paced environment
- Comfort with an open culture that values giving and receiving feedback
- Enthusiasm for team collaboration and working with people with diverse backgrounds and characteristics, and openness to a diversity of ideas and perspectives
- Passionate commitment to the preservation of democratic norms and institutions and ensuring those structures serve all people
About Protect Democracy
- Open to applicants from all over the country. Location requirements are flexible. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in Washington, DC, New York, Boston, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, California, and elsewhere around the country. Prior to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, we offered shared workspaces in those locations for staff members who enjoy working in an office environment, and we are reopening our workspaces in line with current guidance.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. This position is full-time and offers a salary and benefits commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our staff generally make more than typical nonprofit salaries. And our benefits package is equivalent to the most competitive for-profit firms. Our intent is that finance not be a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater impact towards our mission. In addition to a competitive salary, our benefits package includes three months of paid parental leave, a 401(k) plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary, and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply for this position, please fill out the application here and upload your resume and cover letter as a single PDF. On the application form, we will ask you to submit responses to two short questions by video. Please note that your application is incomplete and will not be considered until you have answered the required questions and submitted your video recordings. You’ll have the opportunity to re-record your answers as many times as you’d like and won’t need special equipment or have to download software.
IMPORTANT: Depending on your browser & security settings, you may be able to record your video through the link or you may have to upload a video recorded on a separate platform. We will not judge the quality of the video so long as we are able to clearly hear your answers.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require accommodations at any point in the application process.