It has been the responsibility of each generation of Americans to uphold and strengthen the pillars of our democracy. That democracy is currently facing unprecedented challenges, with political currents that threaten to slide the United States further down the road towards authoritarianism than previously assumed possible. Protect Democracy will hold our government accountable to the laws and longstanding practices that have underpinned our democracy through both Democratic and Republican Administrations.
We were conceived and are led by a group of former White House and Administration lawyers and communications professionals, all with a deep understanding of how the federal government works. As we were the ones tasked with implementing and enforcing the norms that have constrained presidential power for decades, we know what those guardrails are and when those in power may be tempted to violate them.
Protect Democracy is seeking highly motivated current law students for internships in summer 2018. This internship is unpaid, full time (40 hours/week), and requires a 10 week commitment. In limited circumstances, Protect Democracy is open to accepting candidates who wish to split their summer with a firm; in such cases, Protect Democracy will require 6 weeks during the second half of the summer. If this applies to you, please indicate as much in your cover letter. Interviews are rolling; immediate applications are encouraged.
This position is open to current law students (2L preferred but not required). Interns must work from one of our offices in Boston, D.C., or New York City. Please indicate which city you are interested in in your cover letter.
Interns will be responsible for:
- Researching and drafting memoranda on a wide array of federal and state legal and policy issues, related to Protect Democracy’s core issue areas;
- Drafting and editing pleadings, policy documents, and reports;
- Assisting in reviewing discovery; and
- Fully participating in the life of the organization.
- Excellent writing and legal research skills, including a very high level of attention to details of grammar, style, and Bluebook citation format;
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills; ability to correspond naturally with high level individuals, co-counsel, and colleagues;
- Ability to work in a very collaborative and collegial environment, including through virtual meetings;
- Adherence to the culture principles of the organization;
- Comfort with an open and transparent culture with constant feedback (written and verbal) up, down, and sideways;
- The highest standards for excellence in execution;
- Ability to quickly master the mechanics of new concepts and processes; and
- A healthy mix of idealism, sophistication, and practicality, coupled with personal kindness and generosity of spirit
How to Apply:
Interested law students should send a resume, cover letter, legal writing sample (no longer than 10 pages), and list of three references to email@example.com with the position you are applying for in the subject line followed by your last name. Documents should be sent as a single PDF.
Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative and productive teams. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.