Compensation & Benefits Manager
Protect Democracy seeks a highly motivated Compensation & Benefits (C&B) Manager to join our team.
This is a newly created position in which you will become part of our collaborative Operations team and play a critical role in ensuring the continued operational and team health of Protect Democracy. This is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in scaling the personnel-related processes and policies of a rapidly growing nonprofit.
This is a multidisciplinary role, touching on personnel, operations, and finance. You will manage the day-to-day administration of our compensation and benefits and help shape the evolution of our rewards structure. Collaborating with partners across the organization, you’ll play a key role in onboarding new staff and also identifying emerging team needs and strategizing solutions.
Protect Democracy recognizes that there is strength in diversity and strongly encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum to apply. You can work from any location in the United States.
In this role, you will:
- Implement all day-to-day internal compensation and benefits functions of the organization, including payroll, raises, 401k, health care, FSA programs, life and disability insurance, etc;
- Collaborate with partners across the organization to identify emerging team compensation and benefits needs and strategize solutions;
- Develop and implement an internal messaging strategy to ensure staff members know and take advantage of sponsored benefits;
- Manage Protect Democracy’s employment compliance functions, including required local, state, and federal registrations, reports, and staff trainings;
- Contribute to the onboarding and offboarding experience for new and departing staff members;
- Liaise with accounting, benefits, compliance, and legal vendors working to support the organization;
- Work closely with the Organizational Management team to ensure continued alignment between Operations-supported services and organizational culture and belonging;
- Independently seek opportunities to build and improve on Protect Democracy’s operational and financial framework by closely examining needs, assessing possible solutions, and making concise recommendations to the Director of Operations;
- Strategize with other team members and actively contribute ideas during project brainstorming sessions
The ideal candidate will bring:
- Passion for protecting our democracy;
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in the private sector or at a mission-driven organization (including non-profit organizations);
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Uncompromising attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution;
- Proven project management experience, including the ability to develop and implement plans and track, prioritize and balance an assortment of ongoing responsibilities and competing deadlines, while anticipating the Organization’s needs;
- Comfort managing and analyzing complex data sets;
- Strong writing and research skills;
- Collaborative orientation, including ability to work well with people with diverse backgrounds and to manage up, down, and sideways.
- Growth mindset that recognizes that we are all on a constant path of improvement and that regular, candid, and direct feedback is a gift to be cherished so that we can further grow;
- Excellent critical thinking skills — you can reason your way through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to efficient solutions;
- Comfort taking smart, strategic and calculated risks;
- Comfort working in a start-up environment and pivoting to solutions as the organization grows
About Protect Democracy
- Open to applicants from all over the country. Location requirements are flexible. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in Washington, DC, New York, Boston, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, California, and elsewhere around the country. Prior to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, we offered shared workspaces in those locations for staff members who enjoy working in an office environment, and we are reopening our workspaces in line with current guidance.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. This position is full-time and offers a salary and benefits commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our staff generally make more than typical nonprofit salaries. And our benefits package is equivalent to the most competitive for-profit firms. Our intent is that finance not be a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater impact towards our mission. In addition to a competitive salary, our benefits package includes three months of paid parental leave, a 401(k) plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary, and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply for this position, please fill out the application here and upload your resume and cover letter as a single PDF.
Please contact email@example.com if you require accommodations at any point in the application process.
To return to our jobs page, click here.