Digital Content Associate
Protect Democracy seeks a Digital Content Associate to join our communications team. In this role, you will help ensure that our website advances our mission by clearly presenting to policymakers, reporters, philanthropists, partners, and other stakeholders the urgency of the threats facing our democracy and available solutions. You will also be responsible for ensuring that our customer relations management system, Copper CRM, is properly maintained and capable of supporting our impact teams in achieving our mission.
As the primary point of contact for these systems, you will work with diverse stakeholders across the organization to support impact projects and regularly evaluate our systems, recommending improvements to leadership. You will also have the opportunity to create visual assets, such as graphics for the website and social media, in order to meet the digital needs of various impact teams.
The ideal candidate is a highly organized project manager with keen attention to detail, a strong sense of initiative, and an ability to meet deadlines (alone or in collaboration with others). A commitment to our mission and a passion for defending and strengthening our democracy are critical.
Protect Democracy recognizes that there is strength in diversity and strongly encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum to apply. You can work from any location in the United States.
The Digital Content Associate will:
- Design, refine, and manage a process for routine website audits, and develop standard operating procedures for our new impact database.
- Partner with members of the team to plan and execute website strategies that support our impact projects, which are designed to strengthen democratic institutions and protect our democracy from autocratic assaults.
- Maintain and update the organization’s content management system (WordPress) and customer relations management platform (Copper), coordinating as needed with team members across the organization.
- Provide regular analysis of website performance, including engagement among our target audiences (elected officials, journalists, philanthropists, peer organizations, etc.), and consistently look for ways to improve.
- Propose recommendations to leadership on how to improve our systems and processes.
- Proofread and edit digital content to ensure it aligns with Protect Democracy’s mission, voice, and brand.
- Work with our website vendor to ensure short and long term goals for the website are achieved.
- Troubleshoot WordPress bugs, escalating them to our website vendor as needed and ensuring issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- A minimum of 3-5 years experience in content management.
- Experience using WordPress.
- Experience using Copper or other customer relations management software.
- Experience editing and proofreading content, and ability to ensure message discipline across a wide variety of content.
- Ability to work independently and reason through novel problems in order to meet deadlines consistently.
- Experience leading projects or work streams, including the ability to motivate others to act and meet deadlines.
- Systematic, process-oriented, and detail-oriented with the highest standards for excellence in execution.
- Growth mindset and comfort with ambiguity in a rapidly changing work environment.
- Enthusiasm for team collaboration and working with people with diverse backgrounds and characteristics, and openness to a diversity of ideas and perspectives.
Pluses, but not required:
- Proficiency in HTML/CSS.
- Expertise in WordPress development.
- Experience implementing and maintaining high quality SEO policies and incorporating them with web content.
- Ability to provide design, data visualization, and graphics support.
The starting salary range for this role is $80,984 – $95,275 commensurate with the candidate’s relevant experience, capabilities, and skills and in alignment with internal equity.
Working at Protect Democracy:
- Flexible location. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in Washington, DC, New York, Florida, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, California, and elsewhere around the country. Prior to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, we offered shared workspaces in those locations for staff members who enjoy working in an office environment, and we are reopening our workspaces in line with current guidance.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. In addition to a competitive salary, our benefits package includes: a minimum of four weeks of PTO per year, three months of paid parental leave, a 401(k) plan with up to 6% employer match that vests immediately, full coverage for an excellent health care plan that includes both dental and vision insurance, long-term disability and life insurance for all employees, a home office stipend, and as budget allows, discretionary bonuses.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply for this position, please fill out the application here and upload your resume and cover letter as a single PDF. We will review applications on a rolling basis.
Please contact [email protected] if you require accommodations at any point in the application process.