Protect Democracy seeks a highly motivated DevOps Engineer to join our VoteShield project team. VoteShield’s platform supports election officials to maintain complete and accurate voter data in order to ensure free and fair elections for all qualified voters. In this role, you will be responsible for the delivery, reliability, scalability, monitoring, and security of the VoteShield service as part of a small, collaborative development team.
The ideal candidate shows strong detail orientation, excellent communication skills, and a dedication to documentation. They will have a flexible, growth-oriented mindset and collaborative approach, as well as a commitment to excellence. Finally, the ideal candidate will share enthusiasm for our mission, which demands a dedication to democracy and free, fair, and secure elections.
We are interested in both early career and more experienced candidates for this role. If you have an interest in these areas but lack some of the required experience, we would still love to hear from you. You can work from any location in the United States, and candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Depending on experience, design or lead the design and implementation of automation solutions for development, testing, and production environments.
- Collaborate with our engineering team to improve automation of workflows, infrastructure, code testing and deployment.
- Maintain the AWS infrastructure through Terraform Infrastructure-As-Code
- Strengthen our application and environment security, applying standards and best practices and provide tooling to make development workflows more secure.
- Think through threat models and harden systems across services.
- Maintain VoteShield site reliability processes.
- Identify systems that can benefit from automation, monitoring and infrastructure-as-code and develop and scale products and services accordingly.
- Document and create institutional knowledge on role responsibilities.
- Candidates should bring 3+ years of experience in a DevOps, DevSecOps, SysAdmin, or related role.
- A passionate commitment to the preservation of democratic norms and institutions, especially with respect to free and fair elections.
- Excellent critical thinking skills, ability to reason through novel problems, and good instincts about how to get to optimal solutions.
- Proficient oral and written communications skills.
- Collaborates and coaches effectively in a team environment.
- Fluency with one or more scripting languages such as Bash, Python, or similar.
- Strong understanding of core networking concepts and best practices.
- Proven experience implementing security best practices using Identity and Access Management.
- Proven experience deploying and managing web and/or data science applications.
- Proficiency with infrastructure-as-code infrastructure management tools.
- Proficiency with containers and container orchestration systems.
- Proficiency implementing continuous integration.
- Understanding of encryption tools and techniques.
- Understanding of system administration in Unix environments.
- Working knowledge of version control and management, especially Git and GitHub.
Pluses, but not required
- Specific experience with AWS infrastructure management with Terraform.
- Specific experience with continuous integration/continuous deployment using GitHub Actions.
- Experience with Security Compliance Standards such as SOC 2.
- Familiarity with OAuth, SAML, and AWS Identity and Access Management.
- Familiarity with monitoring tools such as Sentry or similar.
The starting salary range for candidates is $110,077 – $129,502, commensurate with the candidate’s relevant experience, capabilities and skills and in alignment with internal equity.
About Protect Democracy
- Flexible location. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in Washington, DC, New York, Florida, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, California, and elsewhere around the country. Prior to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, we offered shared workspaces in those locations for staff members who enjoy working in an office environment, and we are reopening our workspaces in line with current guidance.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. In addition to a competitive salary, our benefits package includes: a minimum of four weeks of PTO per year, three months of paid parental leave, a 401(k) plan with up to 6% employer match that vests immediately, full coverage for an excellent health care plan that includes both dental and vision insurance, long-term disability and life insurance for all employees, a home office stipend, and as budget allows, discretionary bonuses.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply for this position, please fill out the application here and upload your resume and cover letter as a single PDF. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please contact [email protected] if you require accommodations at any point in the application process.