Protect Democracy seeks a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Operations Associate.
In this role, you will join our small and highly collaborative Operations team to assist in scaling the processes and procedures of a rapidly growing start-up. As an Operations Associate, you will help determine and shape the operational future of our organization by improving our operational frameworks and processes, assisting with benefits administration, providing technological and logistical support to staff, and helping manage vendor relationships. This is an excellent opportunity for a creative, organized, and enthusiastic candidate who is eager to tackle operational challenges head-on.
At Protect Democracy, we anchor our work in service to our ambitious mission: to prevent American democracy from declining into a more authoritarian form of government. Our mission is the foundation of our team, be it litigation, advocacy, or ensuring that our organization has the financial and logistical security to continue to meet the urgency of the moment and the importance of this movement.
The ideal candidate brings strong detail orientation and communication skills; a flexible, growth-oriented mindset and collaborative approach; a commitment to excellence; and enthusiasm for our mission. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum to apply. You can work remotely from any location in the United States.
The Operations Associate will:
- Help ensure Protect Democracy’s legal, fiscal, and administrative compliance, which includes collecting and managing large amounts of data;
- Assist with the administration of several benefit programs, including FSAs, 401k, health care, and more;
- Liaise with benefits, technical, digital, compliance, and legal vendors working to support the organization;
- Independently identify ways to build and improve on Protect Democracy’s operational framework by examining needs, assessing possible solutions, and making concise recommendations to the Director of Operations;
- Collaborate with teams across the organization, including the Operations team, Partnerships team, and Organizational Management team;
- Provide as-needed operational support to the entire Protect Democracy team;
- Contribute to the overall development of Protect Democracy across all areas and facets of the organization, including impact strategy.
- Passion for protecting our democracy;
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution;
- A background and interest in process design, improvement, and automation;
- Facility with CRM databases and data management;
- The ability to develop and implement plans and track, prioritize and balance a diverse set of responsibilities;
- Strong writing, research, communication, and diplomatic skills;
- Flexibility and comfort working in a start-up environment and pivoting to solutions as the organization grows;
- Growth mindset and enthusiasm for giving and receiving feedback up, down and sideways;
- Excellent critical thinking skills — you can reason your way through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to efficient solutions;
- Kindness and respect for others.
About Protect Democracy
- Open to applicants from all over the country. Location requirements are flexible. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in Washington, DC, New York, Boston, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, California, and elsewhere around the country. Prior to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, we offered shared workspaces in those locations for staff members who enjoy working in an office environment, and we are reopening our workspaces in line with current guidance.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. This position is full-time and offers a salary and benefits commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our staff generally make more than typical nonprofit salaries. And our benefits package is equivalent to the most competitive for-profit firms. Our intent is that finance not be a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater impact towards our mission. In addition to a competitive salary, our benefits package includes three months of paid parental leave, a 401(k) plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary, and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply for this position, please fill out the application here and upload your resume and cover letter as a single PDF. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please contact [email protected] if you require accommodations at any point in the application process.