Protect Democracy is working to protect and enforce the norms preventing political pressure from influencing the impartial administration of justice.
To do this, we organize signed statements from former officials, provide information to Congress, file briefs in active litigation, and write letters to the Administration.
NEW: Statement by 1,000+ Former Federal Prosecutors (May 2019)
- Statement by DOJ Alumni: Rosenstein, Mueller, and the Rule of Law (Apr. 13, 2018).
- Statement by DOJ Alumni: The Appointment of Whitaker (Dec. 4, 2018).
- Statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee: Key Requirements for the New Attorney General (Dec. 14, 2018).
- Memo: White House Communications with the DOJ and FBI (Mar. 8, 2017).
- Memo: Does Executive Privilege Apply to Comey Testimony or Memos? (May 23, 2017).
- White Paper: No ‘Absolute Right’ to Control DOJ: Constitutional Limits on White House Interference with Law Enforcement Matters. (Mar. 9, 2018).
- White Paper: Lessons from Previous Independent Investigations and Related Congressional Oversight (Dec. 2018)
- White Paper: If Conspiracy — by Whatever Name— Occurred, Congress Must Ensure Accountability (Dec. 2018)
- White Paper: Congress’s Role in Assessing Any Findings of Presidential Obstruction-of-Justice and Abuse of Power and Ensuring Accountability (Dec. 2018)
- Explainer: Constitutional Principles Supporting Independent Law Enforcement (July 6, 2018).
- Explainer: The President Cannot Fire a Law Enforcement Official to Intervene in an Investigation (July 6, 2018).
- Explainer: The President Cannot Offer Pardons to Interfere in an Investigation (July 6, 2018).
- Explainer: S. 2644 – the Special Counsel Independence and Integrity Act – Is Constitutional (July 6, 2018).
- Amicus brief filed in United States v. AT&T (Mar. 9, 2018).
- Amicus brief filed in United States v. Saipov (Sept. 24, 2018).
- Letter to DOJ Inspector General Horowitz regarding the proposed merger between Anthem and Cigna (Mar. 23, 2017).
- Letter to WH Counsel McGahn regarding existing policies limiting communications between the WH and DOJ (Apr. 18, 2017).
- Letter to DOJ Inspector General Horowitz regarding failures to enforce contacts policies (June 12, 2017).
- Letter to DOJ Office of Professional Responsibility regarding WH pressure to open investigations into the President’s political opponents (Jan. 4, 2018).