At this time, Protect Democracy has decided to pause hiring for Policy Advocate for a number of factors, including the rapidly changing situation with COVID-19. We’re still accepting applications, but will pause on moving candidates forward in the process. Of course, if we have updates or news, we will post them here.
Protect Democracy is seeking Policy Advocates who are passionate about protecting our democracy to develop policy solutions and strategically organize coalitions to defend and strengthen democratic norms and institutions. Policy Advocates lead our efforts to influence congressional offices, state-level policymakers, the 2020 Presidential candidates, and executive branch oversight bodies through policy creation, direct outreach, coalition building, and collaboration with grassroots groups. Policy Advocates also lead efforts within Protect Democracy to develop policy solutions that would strategically advance our mission.
This is a senior position, and Policy Advocates are expected to operate as leaders in the national conversation. Policy Advocates will be expected to do the following at a high level:
- Generate creative policy solutions and work with legislators, experts and coalitions to advance them, including developing detailed policy proposals to build on Protect Democracy’s “Roadmap for Renewal: A Legislative Blueprint for Protecting Our Democracy”;
- Develop, propose, and lead strategic campaigns aimed at influential leaders and civic institutions in defense of democratic norms that are under threat;
- Build coalitions of leaders and organizations in support of strategic campaigns to protect our democracy, including a campaign to convince candidates and elected officials in both parties to adopt an agenda for strengthening our democracy;
- Collaborate with other organizations, including supporting the work of grassroots groups;
- Collaborate with our legal team to develop advocacy campaigns that will support our legal work through strategic organizing initiatives;
- Collaborate with our communications team to develop communications strategies to strategically amplify our lobbying and organizing work;
- Design, hire, and build a growing team to execute this work;
- Contribute as a leader to the overall development of the organization across all areas.
- A passionate commitment to the preservation of democratic norms and institutions.
- Demonstrated ability to lead policy development, campaigns, or advocacy initiatives at a high level of excellence.
- Ability to draft legislative text.
- Ability to build and execute legislative and/or executive branch lobbying strategies.
- Ability to track, prioritize, and where necessary triage work in order to always be using one’s time in the most efficient and productive way.
- Exceptional diplomatic skills and ability to build strong relationships, including with people from diverse backgrounds and ideologies.
- Excellent judgment about political activism – what levers can make change happen with limited resources.
- Instinctual understanding of the rhythms of the political-media world and congressional dynamics.
- Fluency with the current political environment and legal issues (a J.D. is not a requirement, but the ability to understand and communicate legal issues is).
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- Excellent critical thinking skills – ability to reason one’s way through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to optimal solutions.
- Comfort with full transparency on work and proactive managing up, down, and sideways to keep others informed at all times.
- Comfort with an open and transparent culture with constant feedback up, down, and sideways.
- Comfort taking smart, strategic, and calculated risks.
- Comfort working in a collaborative start-up environment, doing whatever is necessary to build the organization and support your own work.
- Comfort developing relevant metrics and then meeting them.
- A healthy mix of idealism, sophistication and practicality, coupled with personal kindness and generosity of spirit.
Candidates who do not meet all listed requirements should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
About Protect Democracy
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and political affiliation.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. All positions are full-time and offer a salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience. We pay very well and offer compensation packages at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector nationwide. For example, our benefits include: three months of paid parental leave; a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary; and full coverage for an excellent health care plan. In addition, staff are provided with the resources and funding they need to do their work excellently.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development in a growth-focused, mission-centered organizational culture.
Instructions: To apply to this position, please fill out the application here.