Communications and Advocacy Strategist
Protect Democracy is seeking a highly motivated individual to join the team as a Communications and Advocacy Strategist.
This is a unique role for a candidate with an entrepreneurial mindset, the ability to build something new, political acumen, and communications skills. You will be a key part of the team building an integrated communications operation that expands Protect Democracy’s legal, policy, and structural impact, as well as its brand with key media partners. This role will place you at the center of crafting overall communications strategies to prevent American democracy from declining into a more authoritarian form of government. You will generate ideas, launch and execute projects, design systems, develop and deliver Protect Democracy messages, cultivate relationships with key reporters and other influencers, write in different formats and create content (including digital content), and turn your ideas into real impact in the world.
You must be an excellent writer and verbal communicator, and you must understand politics and policy. You must also be able to bring yourself up to speed very quickly on the substance of the work as necessary (e.g., if you did not attend law school but are discussing a Protect Democracy lawsuit with a reporter, you need to be able to discuss it with sufficient knowledge and confidence). The ideal candidate will also be distinguished by a track record of building something (a blog, a media company, an official press strategy, etc.) that creatively moved an audience and made change. Your professional background is less important — you may have previously worked as a press secretary, startup founder, public interest lawyer, sports blogger, speechwriter, or nonprofit leader, or your career may have taken a nontraditional trajectory– but in these prior roles you’ve learned how to think like a CEO and to use communications and the media as levers in service of a mission. Candidates from diverse backgrounds and across the political and ideological spectrum are encouraged to apply, and you can work from anywhere in the United States.
- Developing creative strategies that deploy media and communications tools to advance Protect Democracy’s mission of preventing American democracy from declining into a more authoritarian form of government;
- Thinking outside the box about how strategic communications can drive change;
- Launching and leading communications projects from conception to completion;
- Turning ideas into front page/trending news;
- Identifying opportunities in the news cycle to quickly move the needle of policy;
- Cultivating relationships with reporters, producers, bloggers, influencers, and other media stakeholders;
- Proactively serving as a resource to the media and organizing the people in Protect Democracy’s network to do the same;
- Producing press releases, press notes, blog posts, talking points, op-eds, tweets, and other media content and assets;
- Serving as a project lead that advances Protect Democracy’s mission through communications, and supporting other project leads including advocates and lawyers;
- Serving as an early member of a stellar mission-driven team (rather than an ego-driven or title-driven team) in a collaborative organization, and taking leadership to manage both up and down for the best results;
- Ensuring the public is informed about Protect Democracy’s work to the extent that advances our mission.
- Passion for protecting our democracy;
- Sophisticated understanding of politics, policy, and the media landscape (including how it shapes the national conversation, how a national story develops and has a life cycle, how different media platforms function, and how to engage reporters);
- Proven track record of building something that has moved an audience and/or made change;
- Excellent writer and verbal communicator with a core set of media skills, including writing talking points, building trusted relationships with and pitching reporters, providing briefings, planting stories, composing tweets, and turning complex concepts into clear and simple messages;
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Ability to be nimble and rapidly pivot when needed;
- Ability to design metrics, manage projects, and manage time efficiently in order to balance multiple work streams while prioritizing and triaging where necessary;
- Ability to understand and speak fluently about policy, politics, and legal issues and get up to speed on them quickly if previously unfamiliar with them;
- A growth mindset that recognizes that we all are on a constant path of improvement and that regular, candid, and direct feedback is a gift to be cherished so that we can further grow;
- Comfort working in a startup environment, doing whatever is necessary to build the organization;
- Kindness and respect for others;
- Excellent critical thinking skills — can reason your way through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to efficient solutions;
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution.
About Protect Democracy:
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. All positions are full-time and offer a salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience. We pay very well and offer compensation packages at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector nationwide. For example, our benefits include: three months of paid parental leave; a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary; and full coverage for an excellent health care plan. In addition, staff are provided with the resources and funding they need to do their work excellently.
- Open to applicants from all over the country. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in Washington DC, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, and elsewhere around the country. We offer shared workspaces in those cities for those who enjoy working in an office environment.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. At Protect Democracy, we invest in our staff, and that includes fostering connections between members of the team and providing opportunities for training and continued education. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply to this position, send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single PDF with the position you are applying for in the subject line followed by your last name.