Protect Democracy is seeking highly motivated counsel of the highest caliber to help prevent our democracy from declining into a more authoritarian form of government. Excellent candidates will share a deep commitment to our mission, be creative and entrepreneurial in conceiving strategies for achieving it, and be able to wholeheartedly embrace and embody our organizational culture principles. We are a team that values collaboration, constant feedback, excellence, efficiency, and integrity.
Protect Democracy’s counsels are responsible for driving our legal strategies in areas that are relevant to our core mission. From idea generation through all stages of planning and execution, counsels lead creative impact litigation, investigation, and legal policy strategies to deter, expose, and redress government acts that drive our democracy toward a more authoritarian form of government. Counsels manage all aspects of legal projects, whether we are doing the work entirely in-house or partnering with law firms or other organizations. Counsels also have opportunities to draw on our expert and advisory networks for guidance and support and to supervise law students in our affiliated Harvard Law School clinic. Counsels are able to work remotely from anywhere in the United States.
Counsel will be responsible for the following types of work:
- Developing and proposing ideas and priorities for litigation, legal policy reform, fact investigations, and other legal projects consistent with our mission, in coordination with the rest of the team.
- Researching and devising innovative legal arguments and potential litigation approaches, and serving as bold and creative thought leaders on constitutional law and related subjects within our mission.
- Managing affirmative impact litigation, including developing relationships with clients and co-counsel and working with experts and advisors.
- Drafting and editing pleadings and motions; handling discovery, witness interviews, and depositions; authoring appellate and amicus briefs; arguing motions and cases in court.
- Drafting editorials and opinion pieces and managing communications strategies to build support for legal strategies.
- Managing policy and advocacy teams to develop and advance new legal and policy approaches for protecting democracy, including work with the private sector, other NGOs, the Hill, the legal profession, and scholars of law and democracy.
- A passionate commitment to the preservation of democratic norms and institutions and ensuring those structures serve all people.
- Experience (note that candidates need not have experience in all of the following areas but should have familiarity with some of them and ability to quickly get up to speed in the others): experience conducting relevant legal work, including experience in constitutional and administrative litigation; experience conducting affirmative impact litigation; experience handling legal policy or oversight in or around federal government; experience with FOIA; experience with government ethics, civil service protection, and democracy-protection laws.
- Exceptional writing skills for materials intended for both legal and non-legal audiences.
- Excellent critical thinking skills, ability to reason through novel problems, and good instincts about how to get to optimal solutions.
- Entrepreneurial approach and the ability to create, initiate, and direct creative workstreams.
- Ability to manage and drive complex projects to conclusion, including managing co-counsel teams and developing and managing client relationships.
- Comfort with full transparency on workstreams and with proactive managing up, down, and sideways to keep team members informed at all times.
- Ability to track, prioritize, and, where necessary, triage work in order to use time in the most efficient and productive way.
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution.
- Comfort with an open and transparent culture that values constant feedback up, down and sideways.
- Comfort taking smart, strategic, and calculated risks.
- Comfort working in a startup environment and proactively working to build the organization and support your own work.
- Comfort with team collaboration, including working with people with diverse backgrounds and characteristics.
- Comfort developing relevant metrics and then meeting them.
- A healthy mix of idealism, sophistication and practicality, coupled with personal kindness and generosity of spirit.
- Bar membership in good standing in the counsel’s jurisdiction of residence and ability and willingness to waive into DC or other places as required.
About Protect Democracy:
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. All positions are full-time and offer a salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience. We pay very well and offer compensation packages at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector nationwide. For example, our benefits include: three months of paid parental leave; a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary; and full coverage for an excellent health care plan. In addition, staff are provided with the resources and funding they need to do their work excellently.
- Open to applicants from all over the country. Location requirements are flexible. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply to this position, send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com as a single PDF with the position you are applying for in the subject line followed by your last name.