Protect Democracy is seeking a motivated individual to join the team as a Digital Strategist. We are looking for an experienced individual with management experience who can build this team from the ground up. The ideal candidate would be a strategic thinker who will partner with leadership across the organization to create and implement our strategic vision for digital. Key responsibilities include:
- Building strategies for using media and communications tools to advance Protect Democracy’s mission of preventing American democracy from declining into a more authoritarian form of government;
- Independently seeking opportunities to provide strategic guidance to build and improve on Protect Democracy’s communications framework by closely examining needs, assessing possible solutions, and making concise recommendations to the Executive Director, Legal Director, and project leads;
- Managing projects from conception to completion in service of the above mission;
- Developing, designing, and drafting content or overseeing those who will.
- Passion for protecting our democracy and willingness to place that mission above all other professional considerations;
- Comfort working with people from diverse backgrounds and political views to come together in defense of our democratic institutions;
- Creativity/ability to be a proactive entrepreneur and conceive ways to use communications tools to advance our mission from a standstill;
- Excellent project management skills including comfort with nimbleness and rapid pivoting when needed;
- Excellent ability to communicate complex concepts in clear and simple ways, including ability to communicate with brevity;
- Sophisticated understanding of the social media-political landscape (i.e., what accounts/outlets shape the national conversation, how different accounts are viewed by others, how a national story develops and has a life cycle, including how different platforms function, etc.);
- Strong writing and research skills;
- Ability to design smart metrics and measurement tools to always be assessing how we’re doing and looking for ways to improve;
- Existing relationships with or rapid ability to establish relationships with influencers, social media managers, and other members of the media who cover issues of concern to Protect Democracy;
- Ability to understand and speak fluently about policy, politics, and legal issues and get up to speed on them quickly if previously unfamiliar with them;
- A growth mindset that recognizes that we all are on a constant path of improvement and that regular, candid, and direct feedback is a gift to be cherished so that we can further grow;
- Comfort working in a collaborative environment with shared leadership;
- Comfort taking strategic risks and thinking outside the box.
About Protect Democracy
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. All positions are full-time and offer a salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our intent is to not make finance a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater delivery of impact towards our mission. For example, our benefits package includes three months of paid parental leave, a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary, and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
- Open to applicants from all over the country. Location requirements are flexible. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in DC, New York, Boston, Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply to this position, send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com as a single PDF with the position you are applying for in the subject line followed by your last name.