Director of Major Gifts
Protect Democracy is seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial individual to join our team as Director of Major Gifts, specializing in donor relations and major gifts. As the manager of our major gifts program, you will play a key role in ensuring the future of Protect Democracy by serving as a prominent member of the Protect Democracy fundraising team, responsible for cultivating donor relationships, representing the organization to donors, prospects and other external audiences, and fostering innovation and growth in Protect Democracy’s fundraising practices.
About Protect Democracy:
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. All positions are full-time and offer a salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience. We pay very well and offer compensation packages at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector nationwide. For example, our benefits include: three months of paid parental leave; a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary; and full coverage for an excellent health care plan. In addition, staff are provided with the resources and funding they need to do their work excellently.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and political affiliation.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. At Protect Democracy, we invest in our staff, and that includes fostering connections between members of the team and providing opportunities for training and continued education. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
- Open to applicants from all over the country. Location requirements are flexible. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in DC, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Virginia, North Carolina, Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles, and the San Francisco Bay Area. We offer shared workspaces in those locations for those who enjoy working in an office environment.
As the manager of our major gifts program, you will:
- Support the Executive Director on all major fundraising initiatives, including serving as a representative of Protect Democracy in external presentations and one-on-one meetings;
- Manage full cycle of existing donor engagement, including planning and conducting meetings with a portfolio of high-capacity donors and prospects capable of making gifts of $10,000+ to Protect Democracy;
- Lead efforts to identify, solicit and steward new sources of revenue, including identifying and qualifying new prospects;
- Develop tailored strategies to engage new prospective high-capacity donors and upgrade existing key donors;
- Collaborate with the fundraising team to craft annual development goals and track progress towards those goals;
- Independently seek opportunities to build and improve on Protect Democracy’s development operations by closely examining needs, assessing possible solutions, and making concise recommendations to the team;
- Coordinate the production of the Annual Report or Year in Review, solicitation materials, funding proposals and other materials as needed;
- Manage Protect Democracy’s development data and oversee various fundraising tools, including Protect Democracy’s donor database.
- Passion for protecting our democracy and willingness to anchor decisions to what will best advance that mission;
- Demonstrated success as the primary point of contact in managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources, including foundations and high-capacity individuals;
- Experience in asking for and securing major gifts of $100,000+;
- Proven track record of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time;
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills––including engaging effectively with high level individuals and tangible experience in external presentation;
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution;
- Excellent critical thinking skills––can reason through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to efficient solutions;
- Facility with databases and data management;
- Strong writing, research, editing, and proofreading skills;
- Ability to track, prioritize, and balance an assortment of ongoing responsibilities and competing deadlines;
- A belief that there is strength in diversity and a commitment to ensuring an inclusive workplace;
- Enthusiasm to learn and a growth mindset that recognizes that we are all on a constant path of improvement;
- A passion for creativity and innovation with expanding donor cultivation and stewardship efforts in a time of COVID-19, when limited face-to-face meetings and planned events will require outside the box fundraising strategies and a willingness to test new methods and systems;
- Comfort with an open and transparent culture with constant feedback up, down, and sideways;
- Comfort working in a collaborative environment with shared leadership;
- A healthy mix of idealism, sophistication and practicality, coupled with personal kindness and generosity of spirit.
Instructions: To apply to this position, please fill out the application here.