Head of Culture and Organizational Strategy
Protect Democracy is seeking a Head of Culture and Organizational Strategy who is passionate about running teams and protecting our democracy to help lead and strengthen our culture and internal team processes.
The Head of Culture and Organizational Strategy will work closely with our founders to strengthen our existing culture, while also analyzing, recommending and implementing new organizational design proposals to ensure our geographically spread-out team can continue to operate effectively as we grow this year and beyond. This person will also be in charge of our talent recruitment, development, and retention, alongside our Operations and leadership teams.
Our substantive work advancing our mission of protecting democracy is why we do what we do. But we believe just as deeply that in order to achieve our ambitious mission, we must build an organization rooted in a highly effective and supportive operating model. We therefore invest significant resources in building an intentional team culture and strong management systems. Our culture principles guide everything we do. We hire for them, train on them, reinforce them daily, and part ways with people for whom they are not a fit.
We believe that everyone at Protect Democracy is on a constant path of growth, and we invest in cultivating it for every team member by pairing them with a dedicated growth manager who meets with them weekly to provide coaching.
As we scale, maintaining our culture and our management systems will be hard enough, but if we are to succeed they will also need to adapt. We are therefore hiring a full-time management expert and strategist to lead our work improving and strengthening our culture and management systems as we scale.
The Head of Culture and Organizational Strategy will be expected to do the following and possess the following qualities:
- Sophisticated understanding of organizational management strategies and tools and experience implementing organization procedures and organizational change successfully.
- Ability to think deeply about organizational culture and turn that thinking and analysis into actionable plans to deepen and improve org culture.
- Ability to envision future organizational paths and needs at C-suite level and be able to make hypotheses, crisply tee up decisions, make recommendations, and explain rationales.
- Ability to anticipate and design efficient and effective hiring and retention processes that will result in bringing in diverse top talent that fits with org, grows with org and stays.
- Excellent project management skills, including ability to develop project plans, manage teams, and prioritize and efficiently manage multiple project workstreams to successful conclusions.
- Exceptional diplomatic skills and ability to build strong relationships, including with people from different backgrounds and ideologies.
- Excellent critical thinking, writing and communications skills.
- Passion for protecting our democracy and willingness to place that mission above all other professional considerations.
- Basic understanding of the political-media landscape.
- Comfort with full transparency on work and proactive managing up, down, and sideways to keep others informed at all times and comfort giving and receiving constant feedback in all directions.
- Comfort taking smart, strategic, and calculated risks.
- Comfort working in a collaborative start-up environment, doing whatever is necessary to build the organization and support your own work.
- Comfort developing relevant metrics and then meeting them.
- A healthy mix of idealism, sophistication and practicality, coupled with personal kindness and generosity of spirit.
About Protect Democracy
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. All positions are full-time and offer a salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our intent is to not make finance a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater delivery of impact towards our mission. For example, our benefits package includes three months of paid parental leave, a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary, and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
- Open to applicants from all over the country. Location requirements are flexible. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in DC, New York, California, Boston, Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply to this position, send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single PDF with the position you are applying for in the subject line followed by your last name.