Protect Democracy is seeking a highly motivated individual to join the team as an Operations Strategist. The Operations Strategist will play a key role in ensuring the continued financial health of Protect Democracy, through expert management of day-to-day financial processes, rigorous analysis, and collaboration with external partners and internal stakeholders.
The strategist will be responsible for:
- Leading numerous internal financial functions of the organization, including bank and credit card account management, invoice tracking and payment, and the monthly reconciliation process;
- Collaborating with the Director of Operations and others on Protect Democracy’s budget strategy;
- Assisting in the completion of Protect Democracy’s annual audit and production of its Form 990;
- Working closely with our external accounting team to ensure the accuracy and dependability of our books
- Independently seeking opportunities to build and improve on Protect Democracy’s operational and financial framework by closely examining needs, assessing possible solutions, and making concise recommendations to the Director of Operations;
- Liaising with accounting, technical, digital, compliance, and legal vendors working to support the organization;
- Providing as-needed operational support to the entire Protect Democracy team;
- Participating in strategy discussions;
- Supporting ongoing work product by researching, writing, editing, and contributing thoughts and ideas to projects.
- Passion for protecting our democracy;
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution;
- 1-2 years work experience at a top quality company or mission-driven organization. Experience in accounting, finance, operations, or management strongly preferred;
- Ability to track, prioritize, and balance an assortment of ongoing responsibilities while anticipating the needs of staff;
- Strong writing and research skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills;
- Facility with databases and data management;
- A growth mindset that recognizes that we are all on a constant path of improvement and that regular, candid, and direct feedback is a gift to be cherished so that we can further grow;
- Comfort taking smart, strategic and calculated risks;
- Comfort working in a start-up environment, doing whatever is necessary to build the organization;
- Comfort with team collaboration; not needing to work only in an isolated and autonomous way;
- Excellent critical thinking skills – can reason their way through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to efficient solutions;
- A healthy mix of idealism, sophistication and practicality, coupled with personal kindness and generosity of spirit.
About Protect Democracy
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and political affiliation.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. All positions are full-time and offer a salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience. We pay very well and offer compensation packages at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector nationwide. For example, our benefits include: three months of paid parental leave; a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary; and full coverage for an excellent health care plan. In addition, staff are provided with the resources and funding they need to do their work excellently.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply to this position, send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com as a single PDF with the position you are applying for in the subject line followed by your last name.