Protect Democracy is seeking a Policy Analyst who is passionate about protecting our democracy to develop policy solutions to defend and strengthen democratic norms and institutions. At Protect Democracy, our ideologically diverse team of policy professionals lead our efforts to influence congressional offices, state-level policymakers, the 2020 Presidential candidates, and executive branch oversight bodies through policy creation and direct outreach to decision makers. You may have previously worked on the Hill as a Legislative Director or Committee counsel, been a fellow at a think-tank, or led a policy team for a political campaign.
This is a senior position. Policy Analysts, like all our policy professionals, are expected to operate as leaders within the organization, among peer organizations, and in the national conversation. A Policy Analyst will be expected to do the following at a high level:
- Generate creative policy solutions for democracy reform, including developing detailed policy proposals to build and expand on Protect Democracy’s “Roadmap for Renewal: A Legislative Blueprint for Protecting Our Democracy”;
- Draft concrete legislative proposals, including legislative text and supporting policy documents with minimal supervision;
- Use thought leadership to highlight the need for specific pro-democracy reforms and to build support among other nongovernmental organizations, academia, and the general public for the theories of change to achieve them;
- Work with members of Congress, experts and coalitions to advance policy reforms into law;
- Brief reporters and provide expert commentary on complex policy issues and solutions;
- Develop, propose, and lead strategic campaigns aimed at influential leaders and civic institutions in defense of democratic norms that are under threat, including through collaboration with other leaders and organizations;
- Contribute as a leader to the overall development of the organization across all areas.
- A passionate commitment to the preservation of democratic norms and institutions.
- Ability to generate ideas and creative policy solutions
- Ability to draft concrete legislative proposals, including legislative text and supporting policy documents with minimal supervision.
- Ability to persuasively present policy proposals to high-level decision makers, potential coalition partners or think tank/symposia through oral presentations and written products.
- Excellent critical thinking skills – ability to reason one’s way through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to optimal solutions.
- Ability to track, prioritize, and where necessary triage work in order to always be using one’s time in the most efficient and productive way.
- Exceptional diplomatic skills, understanding of the political-media landscape, and ability to build strong relationships, including with people from diverse backgrounds and ideologies.
- Comfort with full transparency on work and proactive managing up, down, and sideways to keep others informed at all times.
- Comfort with an open and transparent culture with constant feedback up, down, and sideways.
- Comfort taking smart, strategic, and calculated risks.
- Comfort working in a collaborative start-up environment, doing whatever is necessary to build the organization and support your own work.
- Comfort developing relevant metrics and then meeting them.
- A healthy mix of idealism, sophistication and practicality, coupled with personal kindness and generosity of spirit.
- Washington, DC preferred, though candidates in other parts of the country will also be considered as Protect Democracy is a distributed organization with staff located throughout the country.
Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
About Protect Democracy
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and political affiliation.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. All positions are full-time and offer a salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience. We pay very well and offer compensation packages at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector nationwide. For example, our benefits include: three months of paid parental leave; a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary; and full coverage for an excellent health care plan. In addition, staff are provided with the resources and funding they need to do their work excellently.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development in a growth-focused, mission-centered organizational culture.
To apply to this position, send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single PDF with the position you are applying for in the subject line followed by your last name.