Protect Democracy is seeking a motivated individual to join the team as a Media Strategist. Key responsibilities include:
- Generating creative strategies for using media and communications tools to advance Protect Democracy’s mission of preventing American democracy from declining into a more authoritarian form of government;
- Managing projects from conception to completion in service of the above mission;
- With our incredible team, serving as a member of our founding generation of employees who collectively help to build the organization to function as well as possible in service of our mission;
- Developing and operationalizing strong relationships with reporters, producers, and other media allies who could support or advance Protect Democracy’s work;
- Serving as a resource to the media and organizing the people in Protect Democracy’s network to do the same;
- Independently seeking opportunities to build and improve on Protect Democracy’s communications framework by closely examining needs, assessing possible solutions, and making concise recommendations to the Executive Director, Legal Director, and project leads;
- Developing, designing, and drafting content or overseeing those who will;
- Ensuring the public is informed about Protect Democracy’s work to the extent that advances our mission.
- Passion for protecting our democracy and willingness to place that mission above all other professional considerations;
- Comfort working with people from diverse backgrounds and political views to come together in defense of our democratic institutions;
- A belief that there is strength in diversity and a commitment to doing your part to ensure our workplace is inclusive;
- Creativity/ability to be a proactive entrepreneur and conceive ways to use communications tools to advance our mission from a standstill;
- Excellent project management skills;
- Comfort with nimbleness and rapid pivoting when needed;
- Excellent ability to communicate complex concepts in clear and simple ways, including ability to communicate with brevity;
- Existing relationships with or rapid ability to establish relationships with reporters, producers, and other members of the media who cover issues of concern to Protect Democracy;
- Excellent diplomatic skills, especially with reporters and media professionals — ability to generate contacts, meetings and relationships built on honesty, trust, and expertise;
- Ability to understand and speak fluently about policy, politics, and legal issues and get up to speed on them quickly if previously unfamiliar with them;
- Ability to manage time efficiently in order to balance multiple work streams while prioritizing intelligently and triaging where necessary;
- Sophisticated understanding of the media-political landscape (i.e., what outlets shape the national conversation, how different outlets and reporters are viewed by others, how a national story develops and has a life cycle, etc.);
- Strong writing and research skills;
- Ability to design smart metrics and measurement tools to always be assessing how we’re doing and looking for ways to improve;
- A growth mindset that recognizes that we all are on a constant path of improvement and that regular, candid, and direct feedback is a gift to be cherished so that we can further grow;
- Comfort consistently offering feedback to others;
- Comfort working in a collaborative environment with shared leadership;
- Comfort taking strategic risks and thinking outside the box;
- Comfort working in a startup environment, doing whatever is necessary to build the organization
- Kindness and respect for others, treats others with care and support;
- Excellent critical thinking skills — can reason your way through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to efficient solutions;
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution.
About Protect Democracy:
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. All positions are full-time and offer a salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our intent is to not make finance a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater delivery of impact towards our mission. For example, our benefits package includes: three months of paid parental leave; a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary; and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
- Open to applicants from all over the country. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in DC, New York, Boston, Virginia, and North Carolina, and we offer shared workspaces in those cities for those who enjoy working in an office environment.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. At Protect Democracy, we invest in our staff, and that includes fostering connections between members of the team and providing opportunities for training and continued education. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply to this position, send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single PDF with the position you are applying for in the subject line followed by your last name.