Protect Democracy is seeking two highly motivated current law students for internships in summer 2019. The internship provides a living stipend, and we encourage law students from all socioeconomic backgrounds to apply. The internship is full time (40 hours/week), and requires a 10 week commitment. In limited circumstances, Protect Democracy is open to accepting candidates who wish to split their summer with a firm; in such cases, Protect Democracy will require 6 weeks during the second half of the summer. If this applies to you, please indicate as much in your cover letter. Interviews are rolling; immediate applications are encouraged.
This position is open to current 2L law students. Interns may work from our offices in Boston, D.C., or New York City. Please indicate which city you are interested in in your cover letter.
Interns will be responsible for:
- Researching and drafting memoranda on a wide array of federal and state legal and policy issues, related to Protect Democracy’s core issue areas;
- Drafting and editing pleadings, policy documents, and reports;
- Assisting in reviewing discovery; and
- Fully participating in the life of the organization.
- Excellent writing and legal research skills, including a very high level of attention to details of grammar, style, and Bluebook citation format;
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills, including ability to correspond naturally with high level individuals, co-counsel, and colleagues;
- Ability to work in a very collaborative and collegial environment, including through virtual meetings;
- Adherence to the culture principles of the organization;
- Comfort with an open and transparent culture with constant feedback (written and verbal) up, down, and sideways;
- The highest standards for excellence in execution;
- Ability to quickly master the mechanics of new concepts and processes; and
- A healthy mix of idealism, sophistication, and practicality, coupled with personal kindness and generosity of spirit
How to Apply:
Interested law students should send a resume, cover letter, transcript, legal writing sample (no longer than 10 pages), and list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position you are applying for in the subject line followed by your last name. Documents should be sent as a single PDF.
Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.