Protect Democracy seeks a highly motivated individual to join our team in the role of Talent Associate.
We believe deeply that to achieve our ambitious mission, we must build an organization rooted in an effective and supportive operating model. We therefore invest significant resources in building an intentional team culture and strong management systems. Our culture principles guide everything we do. We hire for them, train on them, reinforce them daily, and part ways with people for whom they are not a fit.
As Talent Associate, you will join a small, highly collaborative team working to improve and strengthen our culture and management systems as we scale. You will support some of our most critical human capital functions — recruitment, onboarding and talent management — working in close partnership with staff from across the organization. You will contribute your talent and energy to other culture and organizational change initiatives as well, helping our team to grow and improve and using your skills to quickly build internal capacity, systems and tools.
The ideal candidate brings strong communication and partnership skills; an entrepreneurial, action-oriented mindset; a commitment to excellence; and passion for strengthening management systems. You can work from any location in the United States — we have staff in North Carolina, Texas, New York, California, Colorado, Arizona, Massachusetts and many other parts of the country — and candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Manage our recruitment and hiring processes, ensuring positive, candidate-centered experiences in each step of engaging with Protect Democracy.
- Identify, develop and implement new tools and strategies that improve how we attract and recruit top talent from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum.
- Design training, resources and tools, and provide ongoing support and guidance to hiring teams designing and conducting active searches.
- Coordinate our high-touch onboarding program, collecting and applying insights to improve each cycle and proposing new ways to welcome and integrate staff.
- Lead and/or support other Organizational Management team workstreams that strengthen how we develop, support and retain talent.
- Support the design and implementation of new internal capacity building initiatives and related systems, processes and and tools.
- Identify ways to enhance employees’ experiences and foster connections, collaboration and community across Protect Democracy.
- Collaborate with the Head of Organizational Management, the Organizational Management team, the Operations team, and staff across the organization.
- Actively contribute ideas to our impact projects and participate in brainstorming and other team activities.
- Passion for protecting our democracy;
- 1-2 years relevant work experience in a firm or mission-driven organization;
- Enthusiasm for designing management systems and processes and developing talent capacities;
- Proven project management experience, including ability to develop and implement plans and track multiple moving parts, in a professional or academic setting;
- Strong research, writing, communication and diplomacy skills;
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution;
- Ability to foster collaborative relationships and work in a team environment;
- Ability to track, prioritize and balance a diverse set of responsibilities;
- Flexibility and comfort working in a start-up environment;
- Growth mindset and enthusiasm for giving and receiving feedback up, down and sideways;
- Kindness and respect for others.
- Human capital or change management experience;
- Experience using online recruitment and networking tools such as LinkedIn;
- Facility with databases, data management and data analysis.
About Protect Democracy
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. All positions are full-time and offer a salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our intent is to not make finance a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater delivery of impact towards our mission. For example, our benefits package includes three months of paid parental leave, a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary, and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
- Open to applicants from all over the country. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in Washington DC, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, and elsewhere around the country.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and political affiliation.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
Instructions: To apply to this position, please fill out the application here.