Your Acceptance of ProtectDemocracy.Org’s Policies
Purpose of the Website
This Website was created to share information about Protect Democracy’s work and to provide users with opportunities to get more involved. The URL http://www.protectdemocracy.org features the work of all the Protect Democracy group organizations and initiatives. For more information, please see About Us.
Restrictions on Use
You agree that you will not use the Website:
- For political campaigning, recruiting votes, or soliciting support for legislative or other initiatives;
- For commercial purposes;
- To conduct or forward unauthorized surveys, contests, pyramid schemes, or chain letters;
- To defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten, or otherwise violate the legal rights of others, such as rights of privacy and publicity;
- To harvest or otherwise collect information about others, including email addresses, without their consent;
- To interfere with or disrupt the integrity or performance of the Website;
- In any way that degrades the Website’s reliability, speed, or operation;
- In any way that restricts or inhibits any other user from using the Website in its intended purpose;
- In any manner that tends to reflect negatively on United to Protect Democracy or other entity within the Protect Democracy group;
- In violation of these Terms and Conditions of Use or of any other policy listed on the Website; or
- In violation of any applicable laws or regulations.
Links to Third Party Websites
The Website includes links to third party websites. Links are provided for your convenience and do not imply endorsement by United to Protect Democracy of any third party site or operator. United to Protect Democracy has no control over, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third party websites. In addition, United to Protect Democracy will not and cannot censor or edit the content of any third party website. By using the Website, you expressly relieve United to Protect Democracy from any and all liability arising from your use of the Website, as well as any third party website.
Intellectual Property Rights
The entire Website is copyrighted by United to Protect Democracy. Certain articles or materials with the Website are also separately copyrighted by United to Protect Democracy, Protect Democracy Project, or by others as indicated. All rights reserved. All other content on the Website, including, without limitation, the text, software, scripts, graphics, photos, sounds, music, videos, interactive features, and the like (collectively the “Content”) and the trademarks, service marks, and logos contained therein (“Marks”), are either owned by United to Protect Democracy, or are licensed to United to Protect Democracy, and are subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights (except for works of the federal government for which there is no copyright protection).
The Website is provided to you AS IS for your information only, and the Content and the Marks may not be used, copied, reproduced, distributed, transmitted, broadcast, displayed, sold, licensed, or otherwise exploited for any other purposes whatsoever, other than as authorized herein, without the prior written consent of United to Protect Democracy (or, if applicable, the respective owners). United to Protect Democracy reserves all rights not expressly granted in and to the Website, the Content, and the Marks. You agree not to engage in the use, copying, or distribution of any of the Content or the Marks other than as expressly permitted herein. If you download or print a copy of the Content for authorized purposes, you must retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained therein. You acknowledge that you do not acquire any ownership rights by downloading or printing copyrighted Content or by using the Marks. You agree not to circumvent, disable, or otherwise interfere with security related features of the Website or features that prevent or restrict use or copying of any Content or enforce limitations on use of the Website or the Content therein. The restrictions in this section do not apply with respect to any portion of the Website that is explicitly provided through an open source license.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)
In operating the Website, we may act as a “services provider” (as defined by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”)) and offer services as an online provider of materials and links to third party sites. As a result, third party materials that we do not own or control may be transmitted, stored, accessed or otherwise made available using the Sites. United to Protect Democracy has in place certain legally mandated procedures regarding allegations of copyright infringement occurring on the Website. United to Protect Democracy has adopted a policy that provides for the immediate removal of any content or the suspension of any user that is found to have infringed on the rights of United to Protect Democracy or of a third party, or that has otherwise violated any intellectual property laws or regulations, or any of the terms and conditions of these Terms & Conditions. If you believe any material available via the Website infringes a copyright, you should notify us using the notice procedure for claimed infringement under the DMCA (17 U.S.C. Sect. 512(c)(2)). We will respond expeditiously to remove or disable access to the material claimed to be infringing and will follow the procedures specified in the DMCA to resolve the claim between the notifying party and the alleged infringer who provided the content. Our designated agent (i.e., proper party for notice) to whom you should address infringement notices under the DMCA is:
Attn. General Counsel
2020 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, 163
Washington, DC 20006-1811
Email: [email protected]
Please provide us with the following information:
- A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed;
- A description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on our Website, with enough detail that we may find it on the Website;
- Your address, telephone number, and email address;
- Include the following statement: “I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above as allegedly infringing is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.”
- Include the following statement: “I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in this notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.”
- The electronic signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner of the work that is allegedly infringed.
We may give notice to our users of any infringement notice by means of a general notice on any of our websites, electronic mail to a user’s e-mail address in our records, or by written communication sent by first-class mail to a user’s physical address in our records. If you receive such an infringement notice, you may provide counter-notification in writing to the designated agent that includes the information below. To be effective, the counter-notification must be a written communication that includes the following:
- Your physical or electronic signature;
- Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled, and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled;
- A statement from you under the penalty of perjury, that you have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of a mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled; and
- Your name, physical address and telephone number, and a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of a Federal District Court for the judicial district in which your physical address is located, or if your physical address is outside of the United States, for any judicial district in which we may be found, and that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of allegedly infringing material or an agent of such person.
YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE SHALL BE AT YOUR SOLE RISK. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, UNITED TO PROTECT DEMOCRACY, AND THEIR OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS, DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS AND IMPLIED, IN CONNECTION WITH THE WEBSITE AND YOUR USE THEREOF, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. VOTESHIELD AND PROTECT DEMOCRACY PROJECT MAKE NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE WEBSITE’S CONTENT OR THE CONTENT OF ANY SITES LINKED TO OR FROM THE WEBSITE, AND ASSUME NO LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY (I) ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT, (II) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE WEBSITE, (III) ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SECURE SERVERS AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR OTHER INFORMATION STORED THEREIN, (IV) ANY INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM THE WEBSITE, (IV) ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE THAT MAY BE TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH THE WEBSITE BY ANY THIRD PARTY, AND/OR (V) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT, OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED, AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF ANY CONTENT POSTED, EMAILED, TRANSMITTED, OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE VIA THE WEBSITE.
Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT SHALL UNITED TO PROTECT DEMOCRACY OR ANY OF THEIR OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, OR AGENTS, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM ANY (I) ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT, (II) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE WEBSITE, (III) ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SECURE SERVERS, AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR OTHER INFORMATION STORED THEREIN, (IV) ANY INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM THE WEBSITE, (IV) ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE, THAT MAY BE TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH THE WEBSITE BY ANY THIRD PARTY, AND/OR (V) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT, OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED, AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF ANY CONTENT POSTED, EMAILED, TRANSMITTED, OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE VIA THE WEBSITE, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT UNITED TO PROTECT DEMOCRACY ARE ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN ADDITION, THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF DAMAGES ATTRIBUTABLE TO UNITED TO PROTECT DEMOCRACY RELATING TO THIS WEBSITE SHALL BE ONE HUNDRED U.S. DOLLARS ($100.00). THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY SHALL APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW IN THE APPLICABLE JURISDICTION.
YOU SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT UNITED TO PROTECT DEMOCRACY SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR LABELS, OR THE DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE, OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY, AND THAT THE RISK OF HARM OR DAMAGE FROM THE FOREGOING RESTS ENTIRELY WITH YOU.
By using the Website, you agree to release United to Protect Democracy, and their officers, directors, employees, and agents, from any liability arising from content posted by others. In addition, you agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless United to Protect Democracy, and their officers, directors, employees, and agents, from any and all claims, causes of action, damages, judgments, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs, debts, and expenses (including but not limited to attorneys’ fees) arising from: (i) your use of and access to the Website; (ii) your violation of any term of these Terms and Conditions of Use; (iii) your violation of any third party right, or of any law, including, without limitation, any copyright, property, or privacy right; or (iv) any claim that any content you contribute violates these Terms and Conditions of Use, including any third party right, or any law. This defense and indemnification obligation will survive these Terms and Conditions of Use and your use of the Website.
These Terms and Conditions of Use, and any rights and licenses granted hereunder, may not be transferred or assigned by you, but may be assigned by United to Protect Democracy without restriction.
Ability to Accept Terms and Conditions of Use
You affirm that you have reached the age of majority in your jurisdiction, and are fully able and competent to enter into the terms, conditions, obligations, affirmations, representations, and warranties set forth in these Terms and Conditions of Use, and to abide by and comply with these Terms and Conditions of Use.
Last Updated: November 4, 2022